Six Pet Peeves About Driving in Sedalia
Okay folks, I know we don’t live in a big city. We here in the Sedalia area don’t have to deal with too much in terms of traffic.Having said that, I KNOW I can’t be the only person who gets annoyed at the way “some people’s children” drive in this town.
It just seems to me that the fine state of Missouri has all required us to learn a manual and follow certain guidelines when we’re operating a motor vehicle. I know, I probably sound crazy with that one.
So what I’ve decided to do is get that off my chest with a couple of pet peeves, and maybe you can tell me some of your own, and we’ll make this a healing process of sorts.
1) For the love of pete, use your turn signal. And, here’s the kicker: use it appropriately please! If you’re going to turn in five blocks, don’t turn on your turn signal now! Turn it on when you get closer to where you’re going, or the people around you are either going to think you forgot to turn it off, or that you’re planning to turn at every block that comes along.
2) Observe stop signs. This is another one that kills me. I live by an intersection and an alley and I swear, if I spend more than five minutes looking out the window, I see at least three cars roll through or completely ignore the stop sign.
3) SPEED LIMITS. This is another one that grates on me. I hate it when someone is right up behind me, on my bumper, angry at me because I’m going 40 in a 40 mph zone. Look dude, I know you have all sorts of crazy interesting places to be, but you gotta be safe. That works in the opposite way, too. If the speed limit is 40, and you’re going 20, that’s not safe either. The people behind you and around you are trying to assume that you’re driving the appropriately suggested speed. Yes, drive carefully, but don’t crawl along Broadway at 10 miles an hour when cars, trucks, vans, SUVs and everyone around you is going 30.
4) Turning left. For some reason, people on Limit and Broadway love to turn left and swing out in into the far lane when I’m the one in the dang far lane. If you’re turning left, don’t just go all the way over! Merge, people! Merge! And quit trying to get around the medians on Broadway and Limit. They’re there for a reason. I’m sorry, but you’re gonna have to go around if you want to get your Dorito Taco.
Don’t get me wrong. I know tacos are delicious. I know that sometimes you gotta have a taco, but don’t be a jerk driving in order to get one.
5) Apply your brakes appropriately. You see the stop sign coming. You know it’s there. I know it’s there. We all know it’s there. Don’t slam on the friggin brake when you get right up next to it.
6) Pedestrians of the area: please don’t be jerks too. Don’t run across Broadway out of nowhere and then get annoyed when people are driving there. There are areas and crosswalks and all sorts of helpful lights to help you get where you want to go. Please also, tell your children, if you don’t mind, to please not play in the middle of the friggin street. I know it’s fun, I’m sure it’s rebellious, but the street is for driving. Your yard is for your basketball game or your hockey game or your lounging or whatever it is you think you need to do. Don’t have a yard? Use the sidewalk. Go to any one of our lovely parks. Get off the street.
What do you think? What are your worst driving pet peeves? Any Sedalia driving habits that drive you nuts?